The Arts and Sciences Champions and Projects of Gulf Wars 29

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Needle Lace Handkerchief - Adelina de Bretigny

My name is Adelina de Bretigny, of the Shire of Swampkeype in the Barony of Darkwater, Kingdom of Trimaris, and I am honored to have been chosen as a champion of Gulf Wars XXIX: The War that Wasn't!


My piece is a linen handkerchief which displays a variety of needle-lace techniques. Needle-lace is a type of lace made with a single needle and thread, which involved a lot of individual stitches. It was very popular from the 1500s through the end of our SCA period, and although it started in Italy it quickly spread throughout Europe. There are a lot of different types of needle-lace, but the techniques I used are all earlier methods requiring a groundcloth which has voids created by removing threads. The voids are then secured using buttonhole stitch. The decorative elements of this handkerchief include a variety of drawn-work techniques and reticello lace in the corners.


Needle-lace is just something that has fascinated me from the very first time I saw a picture of it. It is both very simple, and yet infinitely complex. While most of it is just buttonhole stitches of various types, and different ways of gathering and bunching threads... the amount of complexity you can create using those simple stitches is mind boggling. And the fun and the challenge for me is figuring out how to use those relatively simple techniques to create items of greater and greater complexity. Also it satisfies my need to do fiddly little things that will cause me to go blind one day. =)
Link to documentation:














Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment